About Macleod gunj
McLeod Ganj because of its large population of Tibetans. The Tibetan government-in-exile is headquartered in McLeod Ganj.
It has an average elevation of 2,082 metres , lies just behind it.In March 1850, the area was annexed by the British after the Second Anglo-Sikh War, and soon a subsidiary cantonment for the troops stationed at Kangra was established on the slopes of Dhauladhar, on empty land, with a Hindu resthouse or dharamshala; hence the name for the new cantonment, Dharamshala. During the British rule in India, the town was a hill station where the British spent hot summers, and around the late 1840s, when the district headquarters in Kangra became overcrowded, the British moved two regiments to Dharamshala. A cantonment was established in 1849, and in 1852 Dharamshala became the administrative capital of Kangra district. By 1855 it had two important places of civilian settlement, McLeod Ganj and Forsyth Ganj, named after a Divisional Commissioner. In 1860, the 66th Gurkha Light Infantry, later renamed the historic 1st Gurkha Rifles, was moved to Dharamshala. Soon 14 Gurkha paltan villages were established nearby and the Gurkhas patronised the ancient Shiva temple of Bhagsunath.
Lord Elgin, the British Viceroy of India , liked the area so much that at one point he suggested it be made the summer capital of India. He died at Dharamshala while on a tour there, on 20 November 1863, and lies buried at the St. John in the Wilderness at Forsyth Ganj, just below McLeod Ganj. His summer residence, Mortimer House, became part of the private estate of Lala Basheshar Nath of Lahore and was acquired by the Government of India to house the official residence of the Dalai Lama. The original Tea House built by Lord Elgin and catered to by a local grocery store called Nowrojee & Son continues to prosper to this date as a hangout for visitors to McLeodGanj.
The twin towns of Forsyth Ganj and McLeod Ganj continued to grow steadily in the coming years, and by 1904 had become important centres of trade, commerce and official work of Kangra District. But much of the town was destroyed by the devastating 7.8 magnitude 1905 Kangra earthquake at 6:19 am 4 April 1905; close to 19,800 people were killed and thousands were injured in the Kangra area. The earthquake destroyed most buildings in Kangra, Dharamshala, and McLeod Ganj; even the Bhagsunath Temple was destroyed. Thereafter, district headquarters were shifted to a lower spot, and the town waited another half century before anything significant transpired in its history.
In March 1959, Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, fled to India after the failed uprising in 1959 in Tibet against the Communist Party of China. The Indian Government offered him refuge in Dharamshala, where he set up the Government of Tibet in exile in 1960, while McLeod Ganj became his official residence and also home to several Buddhist monasteries and thousands of Tibetan refugees. Over the years, McLeod Ganj evolved into an important tourist and pilgrimage destination, and has since grown substantially in population.
McLeod Ganj got its own website in 2013, according to a Times of India report.
Macleod gunj is in Himachal Pradesh telecom region.
Important Cities close to Macleod Gunj :
Providers with 3G coverage in Macleod Gunj :
Mobile recharge and Datacard dealers near Macleod gunj
||M/s Krishna Enterprises near state bank of patiala roper road Nalagarh Distt solan HP
|VMS Baddi 2
||M/S Link Telecom Near Traffic Light, Nalagarh Pinjor Road Baddi
||M/s Katayan Communication Shop # 337 , Housing Board Complex , Beasa Maud , Kullu H.P
|M/s Shri Ram communication
||M/s Shri Ram communication Shop no.37-38 Rajeev Gandhi Complex musium road chamba H.P
||M/S Om Communication Near Vaisno Dhaba Kangra Highway Jawalaji
||M/S SYSON Shop No 25, Rajput Sabha Complex, Old Bus Stand, Kangra (HP)-176001
|VMS Master Voice
||Opp DAV School gurdwara Road Kotwali Dharamshala