Malbazar, also known as Mal, is a sub-divisional town, a municipality in Jalpaiguri district, in North Bengal, India. It lies about 65 km from Jalpaiguri and 55 km from Siliguri.
Before 1947 Malbazar was a very small place, mainly known for its tea gardens mostly owned by British people. Those tea gardens had a few Bengali white collar employees and the work force consisted of tribal people.
After independence of India as well as partition of Bengal refugees from the then East Pakistan , Dr Tarak Mukherjee, Shri Nripendra nath Choudhary who came there from Dacca established this city. Bannerjee had earned a lot of respect for his effective medical treatments and social services. He took initiatives to get the refuges settled there in an organised way. As a result, some colonies came up.
Later, due to efforts Bannerjee, Amalendu Biswas, Shri Nripendra nath Choudhary, Shri Sarat ch Ghosh, Shri Dulal Sengupta, Shri Makhan Bose established Adarsha Bidya Bhawan in the 1950s. The government Mal Grahmin Hospital was established. Biswas contributed a lot as the only dentist of Maalbazar. Nath Choudhury had helped the refugees get settled. Soon, the police station was shifted to Malbazar from nearby Kranti.
During that time, Dr. Jogesh Chandra Dutta was closely associated with Dr. Narayan Chandra Bannerjee, Dr Amalendu Biswas, Shri Nripendra nath Choudhary and others. Dr. Jogesh Chandra Dutta was the only practicing ophthalmologist in that area. He was also closely associated with development of Mal RR Primary School.
In the 1970s Malbazar got its fire service station. Later, a street was named after Dr. Narayan Chandra Bannerjee.
Important Cities close to Malbazara :