Dharwad is the district headquarters of Dharwad district in the state of Karnataka, India. It was merged with the city of Hubballi in 1961 to form the twin cities of Hubballi-Dharwad. It covers an area of 200.23 km and is located 425 km northwest of Bengaluru, on NH 48, between Bengaluru and Pune.The word "Dharwad" means a place of rest in a long travel or a small habitation. For centuries, Dharwad acted as a gateway between the Malenaadu and it became a resting place for travellers. The name is derived from the Sanskrit word 'dwarawata', 'dwara' meaning "door" and 'wata' or 'wada' meaning "town".
A different theory suggests that during the Vijayanagara rule of Dharwad there was a ruler by name "of Dharav" , and Dharwad got its name from him. There are some inscriptions that refer to Dharwad as Kampana Sthana.
Inscriptions found near Durga Devi temple in Narendra .
The Chalukyas ruled Dharwad during the 12th century. A stone inscription indicates that there was a ruler by the name of BhaskaraDeva in 1117. In the 14th century, the district was first overrun by the Bahmani Sultanate, after which it was annexed to the newly established Hindu kingdom of Vijayanagar, an official of which named Dhar Rao, according to local tradition, built the fort at Dharwad town in 1403. After the defeat of the king of Vijayanagar at Talikot , Dharwad was for a few years practically independent under its Hindu governor; but in 1573 the fort was captured by the sultan of Bijapur, Adil Shah, and Dharwad was annexed to his dominions. Adil Shah built a fort in an area later called Manna Killa, and later Nazratabad. With this fort, the strategic importance of Dharwad increased and it thus attracted the attention of subsequent conquerors, including Aurangzeb, Shivaji, Aurangzeb's son Mu Azam, Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao, Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan and finally the British colonizers.
In 1685, the fort was taken by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, and Dharwad, on the break-up of the Mughal empire, fell under the sway of the Maratha Peshwa of Pune. In 1764, the province was overrun by Hyder Ali of the Mysore, who in 1778 captured the fort of Dharwad. The fort was retaken in 1791 by the Marathas. After the final defeat of the Peshwa by the British in 1818, Dharwar was incorporated into the territory of the British East India Company's Bombay Presidency. During the early 19th century, when the British were expanding their domains, they faced a lot of opposition from local rulers, including Baba Saheb of Naragund and Kittur Chennamma.
Dharwad was the home to the movement to unify Kannada speaking areas that eventually became Karnataka state.
Dharwad was peaceful for most of late 19th century. During those times, the British started an English medium school in Dharwad in 1848. Later, in 1863, the Basel Mission organization started another school. In 1867 the British opened another school, Varmal school, which later on became known as a training college. In 1883, the municipality area included Sidapur, Lakamanhalli, Haveri Pete, Bagtalan, Madihal, Galaganjikop, Malapur, Kamalapur, Narayanpur, Saptapur, Atti kolla and Hosayellapur. The British government also established a railway station in 1888.
The town had a station on the Southern Maratha railway. By 1901, the town had a population of 31,279 and was home to several cotton gina, a cotton mill, and two high schools, one maintained by the government and the other by the Basel German Mission.
After India's independence in 1947, the Bombay Presidency was reconstituted as India's Bombay State. In 1956 the southern, Kannada-speaking districts of Bombay State, including Dharwad, were added to Mysore and renamed Karnataka in 1972. Dharwad is home to the Karnataka UniversityKarnataka University and the University of Agricultural Sciences as well as numerous other colleges.
In 1941, Dharwad had a population of 47,992. In 1961, the town merged with the adjacent town of Hubballi to become a single municipality, Hubballi-Dharwad. The population of the twin cities is the second-largest in Karnataka, after Bengaluru. Hubballi-Dharwad's population increased 22.99% between 1981 and 1991, from 527,108 to 648,298, and by 21.2% between 1991 and 2001. In the year 2008, a Circuit bench of the High Court of Karnataka was established in Dharwad. In 2013, along with Gulbarga circuit bench, Dharwad circuit bench was upgraded to a permanent High Court bench after president's approval. Very soon the city is going to have a branch of Karnataka Administrative Tribunal covering the entire North Karnataka state.
Dharwar is in Karnataka telecom region.
Important Cities close to Dharwar :
Providers with 3G coverage in Dharwar :
Mobile recharge and Datacard dealers near Dharwar
||Vodafone Store, No.10 & 11, Ground Floor , Vishwa Lakshmi Arcade, Court Circle, Dharwad-01
||SHOP NO.2,VERNEKER COMPLEX BESIDE MANVI HOSPITAL DESHAPANDE NAGAR HUBLI
||VODAFONE MINI STORE SHOP NO 10, SHIVASHEEL MULTIPLEX OPP NEW BUSSTAND, GOKUL ROAD
|JANNAVI SPORTS and SCENTIFIC CO
||Vodafone Store, No. 5,Upper Ground Floor, Lakshmi Balakrishna Square, Station Road, Hubbali-580020
||VODAFONE MINI STORE, MURDESHWAR CIRAMIC ROAD OPP GAINT ENGLISH MEDIUM SCHOOL HUBLI
|NIKYS TECH ZONE
||SHOP NO 4 LEA COMPLEX NEAR CORPORATION DHARWAD
||VODAFONE MINI STORE, SHOP NO 3,SHIVAJI CIRCLE ,KAREVANNA COMPLEX
|SHREE SAI PRABHU ASSOCIATES
||LAKKUNDI BUILDING, STATION ROAD, OPP MUNICIPAL COLLEGE
|SHRI GANESH ROAD LINES
||WATER TANK, BEHIND BASAVA STATUE,KAWADE COMPLEX, KUSUGAL ROAD, KESHAWPUR
||KENDADMATH BUILDING, JAYANAGAR, 10TH CROSS, SAPTAPUR, DHARWAD
|Sun Shine Traders
||NO.9,VIMAL SHOPING COMPLEX,MBT ROAD,NAVALPUR,RANIPET - 632402
|ULTIMATE SME SOLUTIONS
||NO.1316, NANDI COMPLEX, RAMATHEERTH NAGAR, OPPP HARSHA HOTEL, AUTONAGAR
||OPP TO TMC OLD COURT LANE. CHIKKODI
||Vodafone Store, Veerupaksha Krupa, PB Road, Vidyanagar, Hubli-580021